On July 9, 2002 Ana's mother noticed her toddler wasn't her usual self; she was tired and had diarrhea that soon became bloody. Local pediatricians kept insisting it was nothing out of the ordinary but after four or five phone calls, finally conceded and told Ana's parents to bring her in. After some tests, the doctor sent them to Children’s Hospital in Minnesota, saying they should take advantage of the larger facility and reassuring them that Ana would be home within 8 hours. Instead, Ana lost her life 4 days later, succumbing to Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome as a result of being infected by E. coli
Read more about Ana’s fight against foodborne illness and how her parents still work to uncover how the pathogen entered her body.
If you or a friend has been affected by a foodborne illness, please tell us your story to help #StopFoodborneIllness
► Make a Donation to Stop ► Sign Up for e-Alerts ►Follow Stop News